VIN identification
In 1981, Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) were standardized using a seventeen digit system. Prior to 1981, manufacturers used VINs unique to their own company. Understanding these codes can be very helpful, but decoding them can be difficult. The purpose of this page is to list resources to aid in identifying these codes. In 1981, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration decided that "all over the road vehicles" being sold must contain a *17-digit alphanumeric Vehicle Identification Number, then again in 1987, the VIN Labeling process had another "upgrade" whereas automotive manufacturers were required to label certain parts on a vehicle in order to help prevent theft and fraud. This also enabled insurance companies and government organizations to track VINs and their title brands, as well as keep records of the vehicle's history.
 Multi-make VIN decoders
- ISO VIN decoder
- VIN Checker, decodes most vehicle Identification Numbers (domestic and import)
- Domestic Cars VIN Decoder Domestic Vehicles - Vin Decoder
- Hotrod VIN decoder (1965 - 1973 only). AMC, Buick, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Mopar muscle car decoder. They say they are working on Ford.
- Old Car Facts, provides basic decoding (year, make, model, body style) for 46 different makes, including most domestic VINs after 1946, and most major import VINs after 1965. Has only partial support for 1963-1967 Jeep trucks and 1975-1977 Toyota.
- VIN wiz, decodes most 1950-1980 US car and truck VINs (GM/Ford/Mopar/AMC/Jeep/IHC).
- DecodeThis, classic and modern car VIN number decoder. It worked great with 1981 and up VINs but may be unable to decode older VINs.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)Information from vin-number.org
- VIN Decoder, from Vehicle History. Includes everything from Acura to Volkswagen.
 American Motors
- Chrysler VIN decoder
- 1966-1974 VIN Decoder from RoadRunnerSite.com. 1966-1974 Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge VIN Decoder.
- Mopar VIN decoding, covers 1970 and 1971 Mopar cars.
- 1966-1974 Mopar decoder.
- Dodge truck vehicle serial numbers. How to decode your 1961-1971 Dodge truck.
- Mopar VIN Decoder Covers 1964-1974 Mopars. Mostly Dodge and Plymouth.
- Mopar Truck VIN Decode 1974-2004.
- MoCode! Mopar VIN Decoder 1966-1974 Mopar.
- Deciphering your 1948-1953 Dodge truck codes, covers B-series trucks from 1948-1953.
- 1962-1980 Chrysler Corporation Products Vehicle Identification Number (V.I.N.) decoding data.
 Ford Motor Company
- Ford VIN decoder
- 17-digit VIN decoder for Fords
- Ford VIN decoder
- Early Ford serial numbers for domestic Fords from 1932-1953.
- 1967-'72 Ford F-series pickup truck VIN decoding
- 1973-'79 Ford F-series pickup truck VIN decoding
- FORD truck VIN number decoder covering years 1970 through 1980. 100 through 350 Series including Bronco. It includes a decoder covering transmissions and front and rear axles.
- 1951-1980 Ford pickup truck VIN decoder, also covers the 1981 and up seventeen digit numbers. This is a good one for Ford pickups.
- 1960-1969 Ford and 1965-1973 Mustang decoder This decoder possibly excludes trucks.
- The Classic Ford A site covering much useful information about classic Fords. Currently covering 1946 to 1965 cars. Click on the year of car you are interested in on the left side of the page. A link to the VIN information is located at the bottom of each year's page.
- The 1964½-1973 Mustang VIN decoder page. It shows you where to locate your VIN and how to read the number. Then, you click on the year of your Mustang and it takes you to a page with that year's information.
- Decode 1960-'69 Ford VIN datasheets for Falcon and Mustang.
- 1970 Torino VIN Codes
- 1971 Torino VIN Codes
- Maverick/Comet VIN and data plate.
- 1974 to 1978 Mustang II VIN decode.
 General Motors
- GM VIN Decoder Domestic Vehicle Vin Decoder
- F-BODY VIN Decoding Covers 1969 to present Camaro and Firebird.
- The GM Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Information site provides quick access to an online source for GM VIN information from 1972 thru present.
- Buick VIN decoder
- 1954-1964 Buick VIN.
- Buick GS 1965-1972 Production numbers, VIN breakdown, engine specifications and engine ID codes for GS and a number of other Buick models.
- Caddilac VIN decoder
- 1965-1980 Cadillac VINs.
- 1903-2009 Cadillacs History, Identification and Specifications.
- Tri Five (1955-1957), Impala (1958-1970), and Nova (1962-1974) VIN Decoder Decode your VIN instantly with this free tool!
- Chevrolet VIN Decoder
- VIN Decoder For Chevys VIN Decoder for All Chevys (17 digits)
- VIN Chevy VIN Decoder VIN Decoder for All Chevrolet Cars and Trucks (duplicate link)
- 1967/1973-1987 Chevy truck VIN decoder.
- Chevy VIN Decoder Works for all Chevrolet passenger cars for 1958-1969.
- Corvair VIN Decoder 1960-1969 Chevy Corvairs.
- Chevrolet Passenger Cars and Trucks Information on Chevy cars and trucks from 1929 to 1958. In addition to serial number decoding charts, there are paint codes, production figures, model ID charts and engine serial number information. (broken link)
- Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova VIN and Body Tag Decoder Covers 1962-1979 Nova and Chevy II.
- VetteSite VIN Verification Very good information on Corvette VIN from 1972 to 1998, and some interesting information on Corvette VIN dating from 1953.
- Chevy Pickup Decoder 1 Chevy Pickup Decoder 2 American Classic Truck Parts Chevrolet pickup decoder. Appears to cover 1946-1972 Chevy pickups.
- Decoding Chevy VIN, Trim Tag and Drivetrain Codes Leans toward Camaro information but there is much valuable information on many Chevy components.
- 1958-1965 full size Chevy VIN decoder.
- Chevelle VIN decoder.
- Deciphering your Chevrolet VIN 1929-1964 Chevy trucks.
- 1947-1955 Chevy trucks Serial Number Decoder (For 1947 - 1955 1st Series Chevy Trucks).
- 1929-1958 Chevrolet Model Identification Chevrolet Passenger Cars and Trucks: Model Identification Charts, Serial Number & Cowl Tag Locations, Paint, Trim & Engine Codes for U.S. Built 1929 - 1958 Models.
- 1955-1957 Chevy Decoding the 1955-1957 Chevy VIN.
As of 1-17-2015 neither link worked.
- Jeep VIN Decoder .com The ULTIMATE Offroading Vehicle & Jeep VIN Decoder.
- Jeep CJ VIN decoder (1968-1986). (broken link)
- FSJ Vin Decoder Full size Jeep VIN decoder. Any full size Jeep (FSJ) including Wagoneers, Cherokees, J-series Pickups, and M-715 military vehicles.
- 1966 - 1971 J Series VIN decoder
- Kaiser Jeep 1960-'67 serial numbers.
- 1972 - present Jeep VIN decoder
- 1980-1997 Jeep VIN decoder
 Import vehicles
- Audi VIN Decoder Works for AUDI 17 digit VIN, 1980-present.
 BMW (aka Bavarian Motor Works)
- 17 digit BMW VIN Decoder Works for 1980-present 17 digit BMW VINs.
 Honda Cars and Trucks
- 1980-present HONDA VIN Decoder Works for 1980-present Honda cars and Trucks. Currently does not work for Motorcycles.
 Honda Motorcycles
From 1979 to 1995 Honda had a 11-digit VIN, e.g. RD023600883
- R: cc (A=up to 50, D=up to 70, H=up to 80, J=up to 125, K=up to 150, M=up to 250, N=up to 400, P=up to 600, R=up to 800, S=up to 800)
- D: type of motorcycle (B=kids bike/ATC, C=Street, D=Enduro, E=OHV/Offroad bike - not street legal, F=Scooter)
- 02: internal production number (here NX650 Dominator)
- 3: version
- 6: series
- 00883: serial number
From 1996-up Honda has a 17-digit VIN, e.g. JH2RD07ABTM000992 or JH2RD07A1YM417129
- JH2: country of production (JH2=WMI Honda Japan, 1HF=Honda America, ZDC=Honda Italy, VTM=Montesa/Honda Spain)
- RD07A: type (here Africa Twin)
- B: version
- 1: control number (1-9 or X)
- T: year (T=1996, V=1997, W=1998, X=1999, Y=2000, 1=2001 ... 6=2006)
- M: factory (M=Hamamatsu/Japan, K=Kumamoto/Japan, A=Ohio/USA, F=Atessa/Italy, *E=Barcelona/Spain
- 000992: serial number
 Mazda Cars and Trucks
- Mazda VIN decoder
- 1980-present (17 digit MAZDA VIN Decoder for Cars and Trucks Works for 1980-present Mazda VIN Decoding.
- Mercedes-Benz VIN decoder
- Mercedes VIN decoder, Works for other Manufacturers, A VIN Decoder for Mercedes Vehicles. Works for other manufacturers as well. Offers quite a bit of information.
- Nissan VIN decoder
- Nissan VIN decoder (works for Cars and Trucks) 1981-present VIN Decoder for Nissan cars and trucks.
- Porsche VIN decoder (1980-Present) VIN Decoder for 1980-present Porsche VINs. Provides year/make/model as well as additional information.
- Totyota VIN decoder (from 1984)
- Toyota VIN decoder (17 digit vin decoder) VIN Decoder for Toyota cars and trucks, with option to buy vehicle history reports for discounted price.
- Toyota VIN decoderVIN Decoder for all Toyota models - includes vehicle specs, MSRP, and fuel economy information.
- Volkswagen VIN decoder (from 1984)
- 1980-2001 Volkswagen VIN Decoder For those with a 17 digit VIN, works for 1980-2001.
- VW VIN Decoder For those with a 9 or 10-digit VIN (chassis number) built after 1965 but before 1980. The information encoded in the VIN is limited to year and body type. It should also work for most VW cars with a 17 digit VIN code (built after 1980).