The term "sandblasting" is confusing, as, in its most specific interpretation, it means abrasive blasting using sand as the blasting medium.
More commonly, "sandblasting" is used to refer to abrasive blasting using any blasting medium. This is somewhat of a misnomer, as sand is frequently a poor choice for a blasting medium.
 Sandblasting body panels is generally ill-advised
Sandblasting automotive body panels, using sand as the blasting medium, is not recommended, for the following reasons:
- Sandblasting impinges sheet metal.
- Prolonged sand blasting of thin sheet metal causes frictional heat that may warp metal. (disputed; needs confirmation)
- Sand creates chloride ions and corrosive salts that promote rust. (this statement needs confirmation/expansion)
- Once and for all: wiki on Soda blasting Hotrodders forum thread
- Media BlastingHotrodders Knowledge Base
- Crankcase Coalition article