How to clean glass
A dirty windshield isn't just annoying -- it can also be dangerous, because it restricts or blocks your view. Keeping the glass on your vehicle clean is as important as checking the oil and tire pressure, especially if driving in an area with a lot of bugs.
 Basic window-cleaning procedure
The outside of the glass is not very hard. Choose the glass cleaner of your liking, spray it on liberally, rub vigorously back and forth, and in circles, concentrating on the edges, until clean.
 Glass cleaning tools and products
- Stoner Brand "Invisible Glass" (the best commercial glass cleaner I have ever used)
- White Vinegar and water
- Squeegee (they come single and double-sided, and telescopic handles are available too).
- Newspaper (works well for streak-free drying. The ink acts as a glass polish, but can rub off on your hands).
- Common household rubbing alcohol works well to remove bugs from the outside and cigarette smoke from the inside. Just remember to cover your dash pad so it don't get all over it.
- This may sound hard to believe, But i did some research on this, You can use Vodka to clean windows also, straight vodka or mix it 50/50 with water or even better 50/50 with white vinegar.
You can also on occasion try to run through the fuel lanes at a truck stop; (make sure there are NO trucks behind you or you will want to REALLY hurry up you are in "their" territory) they have long squeegees in 5 gallon buckets full of windshield washer fluid for the truckers to wash their glass in a real hurry, the backs of the squeegees all have a scrubby pad to remove bugs and road grime in a hurry. You are also in a really good spot in those fuel lanes for free air, so check your tires if you get a chance to run through there.
- You can use ultra fine (0000) steel wool as a cleaning tool for it will not scratch most glass. There are instances where scratches can be seen in side mirror glass.
- The windshield and back glass are the hardest to get perfectly clean, because of the angle.
- Put a towel on the dashboard to keep any excess liquid from getting into the instrument panel.
- The edges and the area around the rear view mirror are easy to miss -- be sure to focus on them.
- Have a trash bag handy for the used towels.
- If you have a light colored interior, be sure not to set a dirty paper towel on a seat or piece that the dirt can bleed in.
 Water repellents
Water repellents are wiped onto glass, and react or bond chemically with the glass, causing it to more easily repel water.
To apply Rain-X:
- Before applying Rain-X, make sure that the glass is perfectly clean. Any dirt or bugs left behind will get sealed in if Rain-X is applied over them.
- Apply a generous amount to a clean paper towel, and then squirt it on the glass, applying in a circular motion while not letting any drip off the glass.
- Always make sure you apply to the whole piece of glass.
- Be careful not to get any onto anything else -- glass only.
- Sometimes more than one application may be needed, especially when using for the first time.
Then, to remove the Rain-X film:
- Take 2 to 3 paper towels, and fold them up in full sheets, creating a cushion.
- Rub vigorously, but every time you rub, change direction, and bring your hand up to grab a new spot on the paper. Do this until there are no new spots left anywhere on the paper towels.
- Don't try to get it all at once -- just make sure you cover the entire area. This is buffing it in, activating it.
- After you have buffed the entire area well, washing with soap and water will remove the vast majority of the leftover film.
- You might have to buff again afterwards.
 Rain-X notes
- Rain X will help your wipers, wiper transmission, and wiper motor last longer, by reducing friction.
- Rain X will last longer the less you use your wipers.
- At certain higher speeds, you most likely will not need to use the wipers. The wind will just push the water up and over, and out of the way.
- If a week later, you notice the Rain-X seems not to be working as well, just wash with a mild window cleaner (a double side squeegee works very well here). This will refresh the Rain-X.
- For more details, see: Rainx.com.
 PPG Aquapel
For details, see: Aquapel.com
 Bug removal
- The best time to clean off bugs is early in the morning, when the dew has softened them up.
- You might need a scraper or sharp single edge razor blade. Smooth out the razor blade on the polished corner of the door window, to remove any burrs that might scratch your windshield.
- Vaseline can be used on any area other than the windshield, to keep the critters from sticking.++ Petroleum Jelly, also know by brand name as Vaseline, is made of petroleum distillates and caution should be used as petroleum distillates do react with different kinds of finishes and rubber seals and gaskets. ++
- Household rubbing alcohol work well to remove bugs from the windshield along with a razor blade.
- You can clean bugs off you windshield with fine (0000) steel wool. Fine (0000) steel wool won't scratch most glass surfaces. It is recommended to try on an inconspicuous spot of glass to test for sure.